The Buick Roadmaster is a full-size car that was introduced in 1936. It rode on Buick's longest non-limousine wheelbase. Production halted during World War II. The Roadmaster's production run resumed in 1946. It served as Buick's flagship model. It entered is fifth generation in 1949. It was the first major restyling the car had received since before World War II. A sedan, a coupe, a hardtop, and a wagon were offered. It was shorter than the 1948 model, and yet somehow managed to be heavier than its predecessor! It featured the first appearance of Buick's signature "VentiPorts", which are the portholes on the side of the front fender. For the 1949 model year, they did function to ventilate the engine bay, but at some point, they simply became decorative items. Only one powertrain was offered, the 320 cu.in. "Fireball" inline-8 engine connected to the 2-speed "Dynaflow" automatic transmission. 1950 would see a new grille design. Power steering became optional in 1952. 1953 would see the biggest changes. The archaic inline-8 was replaced by the 322 cu.in. "Nailhead" V8. This allowed the Roadmaster's wheelbase to be shortened by 4 inches. 1953 would also see power steering and power brakes become standard. A 12-volt electrical system was also added. The Roadmaster's original production run ended in 1958. It was revived between 1991 and 1996. Seen at a car show in Prescott, AZ.